The Hurley Heritage Society
The Town of Hurley NY is rich with history. Situated 100 miles north of New York City and 50 miles south of Albany, it was originally the site of an Esopus Indian community, Hurley was settled by the Dutch in 1662, but two years later found itself under English governance along with the rest of the New Netherland colony. The town is composed of the hamlets of Old Hurley, West Hurley and Glenford. Old Hurley’s Main Street is part of the National Register of Historic Sites due to its well-preserved stone houses which have served as residences for more than 300 years. Hurley was briefly New York State’s capital after the residents of Kingston, the capital at the time, fled when the British burned it during the Revolutionary War.